Sunday, June 2, 2013

may card chain challenge. . . .

Here is my card for Deborah Nolan's monthly card chain challenge for May:




I was in an ATC swap and made an extra one to use for this card. ( ATC's are the perfect size for a focal point on an A-2 card.)

There was a lot of mixed media used here:

First of all, I made the background by spraying an 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock with blue and green Dylusions spray inks.  Then, I watered down some white acrylic paint and splattered it on.  When this was dry, I stamped a small flower image using salty ocean distress ink. I was able to cut 10 ATC backgrounds from this one sheet.  

The bird image was cut from a partial sheet of gift wrap that I bought at a barn sale for a quarter.  This cute little chickadee perches on a strip of old sheet music and a piece of German scrap from ArtChix Studio.  The alphabet letter dies are from Memory Box and the tiny butterfly was sent to me by Arlene - thanks, Arlene!  One of the choices Deborah had for the May challenge was to use embossing and I love the colorful ATC popped up on the white embossed card.

This card was sent to Lavon in Illinois.  I hope she likes it!!  If you would like to sign-up for the June card chain challenge, here is the link.  EDITED::  I sent this card to Arlene in California; not Lavon!!  I actually received a wonderful card from Lavon.  Please forgive the mix-up, gals.  :*(

If you are interested in seeing more of my mixed media art, I recently reactivated my first blog and have been posting over there for about a month.   I would love to have you check it out!!   



14 comments:

Lin said...

You know how much I love this! The colors, that adorable bird - a tiny masterpiece! Must get me some of those spray inks!! Lavon will love this, Joy!

Barb said...

Beautiful ATC, Joy! That bird is so sweet and your background looks gorgeous!!

Linda Kunsman said...

what a really sweet card! Your ATC really shines off the white embossed background Joy. Love it.

walchowDesign said...

beautiful piece of atc with the mixed media technique, Joy!

judkajudi said...

Joy, I just love your bird!! And the bright blue!! So many details to enjoy on this card!!

Cindy C. said...

Oh it's wonderful!!

Virginia L. said...

Your card is full of delightful elements! First, the bird image is just darling and then you pair it with the perfect trim and lovely colors, embossed background!? I adore it! Thanks for the comment on my blog today. It makes me smile BIG :)

Dawn T said...

a gorgeous card Joy. Lucky Arlene to get this card.

Robin K. said...

This includes so many elements I love Joy! And you're right- the crisp white embossed bg really makes the ATC pop!

Kristin said...

This is just beautiful Joy! I'm a bird (and chair) fan myself, so this really speaks to me.
AND welcome to The Summer of Color - I am so happy to have you join in for the first time - I hope you'll have a wonderful time, xo

Emily Leiphart said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Joy! I love the vibrant colours and textures!

Maureen Morton said...

Joy, this background is something else! Love the colors and how that background pops against the white. This bird is adorable, too. Nice job!

Greta said...

Gorgeous work, Joy! I know this card will be treasured. Love that you used an ATC for the focal point & your background is stunning!

Carol McCready said...

Beautiful card. Love the textures.